Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Ambigrams


I some time find it hard to say to someone  “I am graphic artist”. That is because of that word “artist” I have so much respect for those who I consider brilliant artistic minds. So to use the same word “artist” I feel like I may be trying to put myself on their level when I clearly am not. One of the many artist I admire is John Langdon. He is the creator of the language and illusions created by ambigrams. Below are few of his designs:



“Ambigrams are the hottest trend in typography since Helvetica.”
Wired Magazine 4.20.09

I would love to see some of the artwork that you have created. Please feel free to share artwork and I would love to also see some tattoos as it is all an expression of how we see our selves through our lens.

2 comments:

  1. I'm glad to see you appreciate fine art as well as design, although I've always found it to be a fine line. Illustration has always been a great love of mine, and I really enjoyed drafting up my own tattoo. It's heavily based on a Sumi brush painting (which was difficult to convey in pencil), but I tweaked it enough to make it my own.

    Here is the drawing: http://imageshack.us/a/img96/4760/tattoofinaldrawing.jpg

    And here is the result: http://imageshack.us/a/img35/909/tattoosmall.jpg

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow--that is good design. I've not heard of ambigrams, so thanks for sharing these. Beth, your tattoo is stunning. You are a very talented artist.

    ReplyDelete